Custom AP naming + view these custom AP names in 'channel view'

BavoB

Custom AP naming + view these custom AP names in 'channel view'

Post by BavoB » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:36 pm

Some background: this feature request is specifically for medium/larger sized environments where SSID’s are broadcast by multiple APs (schools in my case), so not really for the home environment... although it could be useful for any environment with 2+ APs.
These sites usually have a controller (mostly Ubiquity and/or Fortinet Fortigate integrated controller in my case), where the APs have already been given a name, mostly based on a combination of the building, floor and room number, or another meaningful identifier that defines where exactly the AP is located.

So my reques(s):
1. I would really like a way to give a custom name to each AP in a specific site, I would use the same name as used in the controller
Important: these names should be saved somewhere, preferably in a 'site' or 'network' file, so they can be loaded when coming back to the same site/school.
2. a way to view these APs names in the SSID list and Channels views
For example: when I select an SSID in the list, or I filter on an SSID, it would lists all the APs that are broadcasting this SSID, not only BSSIDs but also the custom AP names - same for when I select a SSID in the spectrum/channel view

Hopefully I'm communicating clearly enough, but this addition would really allow someone to assess the wireless situation immediately: you select the SSID of interest and you immediately see the named APs broadcasting this SSID. When these AP names have a location identifier in their name (most do), than you really have a lot of relevant info to work with.

A partial implementation of this can be observed in the (really excellent) WifiMan mobile app for Android, from Ubiquity. It's partial because custom AP names are displayed in the first tab 'Wi-Fi list' but not yet under the second 'Wifi Channels' tab => they do list the BSSID's there but not (yet) the custom AP names.

Let me know what you think.

BavoB

Re: Custom AP naming + view these custom AP names in 'channel view'

Post by BavoB » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Ooops so I see there already is an AP name field available, but it's empty and I don't immediately see a way to edit it?

bvr

Post by bvr » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:41 am

Different vendors are supporting "advertise AP name in beacon". So if you have like aruba or cisco you can turn it on and you will see the ap names.

What vendor are you working with?

Helge Keck
Site Admin

Post by Helge Keck » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:24 pm

you could also just use the Annotation Field in the Datagrid. Its an editable field.

BavoB

Post by BavoB » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Vendors: Fortinet & Ubiquity, I don't see any names appearing :-(
Other field: will have a look
Thx
Bavo

Helge Keck
Site Admin

Post by Helge Keck » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:35 am

closed because not a needed feature